Note to recruiters

Note to recruiters: We are quite aware that recruiters, interviewers, VCs and other professionals generally perform a Google Search before they interview someone, take a pitch from someone, et cetera. Please keep in mind that not everything put on the Internet must align directly to one's future career and/or one's future product portfolio. Sometimes, people do put things on the Internet just because. Just because. It may be out of their personal interests, which may have nothing to do with their professional interests. Or it may be for some other reason. Recruiters seem to have this wrong-headed notion that if somebody is not signalling their interests in a certain area online, then that means that they are not interested in that area at all. It is worth pointing out that economics pretty much underlies the areas of marketing, strategy, operations and finance. And this blog is about economics. With metta, let us. by all means, be reflective about this whole business of business. Also, see our post on "The Multi-faceted Identity Problem".

Friday, May 11, 2012

How not to do a talk

J. Krishnamurti makes many mistakes in this talk of his, and this talk might as well be titled "How not to give a talk". I have generally not found much by way of insight in J. Krishnamurti's writings, and that is because I don't think there is very much in there. So I was not expecting a great deal when I listened to this talk, but I had to give up after about five minutes because he never clarifies what he means by his many very elliptical sentences in the first minute. Within 60 seconds, he manages to say something obtuse ("I really don't know why you are clapping") and something very bizarre ("Have you ever tried clapping with one hand? Please do that now... from today."). I listened to all of five minutes before I gave up. To those who perserved longer: please let me know what I missed.



I am quite aware of J. Krishnamurthi's reputation as a philosopher in certain circles, but I have some background in Philosophy myself and, over the years, have come to love the field. Indeed, as I noted on my List, many of my organization behavior posts have been written to be an exercise in philosophical thought. So, you know, I know that those are some pretty bold statements to make, but there it is.

And finally, I would like leave a message here for the good people at the Theosophical Society over in Adyar. In case they have not cancelled their subscription to the resurrection of the World Teacher, I would like to let them know this : yes! I am available!!